Friday 17 December 2010

Sangre caliente - Part 2

I now get it why hordes of beautiful tourists fall for some improbable meat loafs on the Italian and Spanish beaches. It has nothing to do with the tan, the muscles (if any), the dark eyes. It is the innate ability of Latin men to make you feel important, their gallantry and chivalry. Sad? Possibly. But also true.

I spent three days with a group of men from a wide array of countries. I don't want to plummet in a bag of clichés, but, after a couple of hours, the Spanish was adjusting my seat at the table, the Italian was pouring my wine, the French was complementing my smile, the English was ordering me drinks, the Danish was cracking odd jokes, the Australian was being coy, the German was blanking me, the Yorkshireman was telling me off. And this was a work meeting, no second intentions involved. Just their normal way to relate to a woman.

There is no need whatsoever to remind me about gender equality, because what I am about to say applies to both sexes. Is it really that difficult to be nice to a fellow human being? Can't we pay some attention to the person next to us, attend to their needs (even if it is just a bread roll), ask them how they are and mean it, get out of our selfishness and self-awareness and be considerate? Why do we always have to expect the worst from people, second-guess, judge, ignore emails, screen calls, criticise? Who do we think we are?

And I am fairly sure that care and attention would get us a long way. I want to try it. Is there a business model explaining how a dumb playboy can get into pretty girls' knickers just by listening to them and offering the illusion of a good time? I would be most certainly interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment