Monday 23 August 2010

Danger, danger (high voltage)

Yes, it is true, the majority of accidents happen within a few hundred yards of our homes.
And I can demonstrate it.
In my life I have broken several bones, including: an arm, skating in my parents' garden; a toe, in my own bedroom; a hand, in my parents' flat; a foot, running near my house. I also got hit by a cricket ball walking past the village green.
My latest adventure. I tripped and smashed my arm against the fireplace. Now, I have a forearm the size of a watermelon. So sore, it keeps me awake at night..

I can guess what English Rose and Male Friend #2 may be thinking. It is not the environment, it is me. Fortunately, as we say in the business, 'what happens on site stays on site', as I have been known for falling face forward in restaurants, conference centres and hotels (notice, plurals). And all this when stone-cold sober.
Which probably explained why, when, as a certified First-Aider, I ran to rescue a colleague, a booming laugh arose from the office floor.

My dad used to blame my university education, my scientist upbringing, for a perennial 'head in the clouds' state. I blame a certain disconnect between my vision of the world and the harsh, cold reality.
Yes, dreaming can hurt, but boy does it feel good most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment