Monday 29 November 2010

The odd one out‏

I have come to the conclusion that emotional and logistical stability go hand in hand.
Such a revelation hit me this morning while freezing my butt off on a train platform for what felt like an eternity (about 1hr). The average commuter was wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase or a shoulder bag. Maybe a gym bag. Then there was me. A huge handbag - content to be described later. My customary second bag - this time for my laptop, as I had some work to do at the weekend. An empty trolley, which, yesterday, full of food, was travelling with me in the opposite direction. Jeans, boots, two sweaters, hat, scarf, gloves and shawl.
My handbag? On top of the normal stuffing (wallet, umbrella, torch, hand sanitizers, make up, a pharmacy worth of medicines, tissues, glasses case, contact lenses, book, iPod, two BlackBerry's, several sets of keys), I was also carrying my passport and travel wallet, a bottle of water, miniature toiletries, sunglasses and some fruit. The refugee look was completed when I realised I hadn't had breakfast and extracted a Ziploc bag with leftover canapés to snack on, in order to avoid biting the arm of a fellow frozen traveller off.

As I floated out of my body and looked down on this gipsy with no chance of conforming, I embraced the messiness of my life and smiled. What else am I to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment