Monday 15 November 2010

Boys

Last night I found myself thinking: where would I be in life if I hadn't spent so much time worrying about boys, relationships, men?
Better grades at school? No, always been a nerd. More time for sport? Possibly. More ambitious career plans? Definitely.

I have to admit: since developing a crush for a scruffy boy at elementary school, I have wasted a ridiculous amount of time worrying about the matters of the heart. Endless conversations, torturing friends with the $1,000k questions: does he like me? Does he like my best friend instead? Does he only want me to do his homework/iron his shirts/pay his bills? Will he call? Should I call? When can I call? Is he coming to the party? Will he buy a birthday present for me? Should I buy a birthday present for him? Does he think I am a geek? Does he want to dump me? Should I sleep with him?
It is exhausting.

In the meanwhile, I could have, in no particular order, mapped the human genome, started my own multi-million company, found a cure for cancer or the Higgs boson. Nope, instead, I obsessed about relationships.

Is it just me? Is it an evolutionary need? Does it only apply to geeky physicists? Shouldn't we be preoccupied with more worthy causes? Shouldn't I have reached the age when only pressing, life-defining subjects should grab my attention?

No idea.

2 comments:

  1. You're maybe right, it could be such a wasting time, but it's so much fun!...
    Fdb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it can be fun.. sometimes..
    Although, instead of wondering, I should be doing something useful, like your translations..

    ReplyDelete