Monday 11 October 2010

Confronting the inner prude

Amsterdam, 11 am on a Monday morning. Is it me, or is it kind of early to buy sex? And to be faced with sex toys in all shapes and forms?

As I got kicked out of my room by housekeeping, I found myself wondering around the hotel to kill some time. Not too far in towards the town centre, a giant dildo stared at me from a shop window. Wow.. What can I say? The catholic girl I was brought up as urged me to carry on walking at sustained speed, ignoring the odd sex shops alternating with indie clothes retailers and cafes. Only to end up in sight of a smiling half-naked young lady waving at me from a red-lit window. And the lady shaking her booty next to her. And the topless one around the corner... That's too much bits and bobs before lunch time, as far as I am concerned.

Which got me thinking. This is no place for an analysis of social injustice and objectification of the female body (or the male), but if I'd rather be at home, on my comfy sofa, with a hot chocolate and endless repeats of 30 Rock, rather than preparing an advisory board meeting, how must they be feeling?

And, honey, my dear, a slide preview involves boring middle-age men going through their presentations. Not ladies stripping behind sliding curtains..

No comments:

Post a Comment