Thursday 21 October 2010

Anything for her

What would you do for the one you love? Would you put your own life at risk? Break the law? Kill? Walk all over your principles, aspirations and desires?

It is somehow easier to admire the big gestures, to appreciate the remarkable sacrifices the very heroic make. But what about the tiny acts of heroism, the daily ones, we do for love? Like disappearing unnoticed for 15 minutes to buy beers, food and comic books; getting out of bed with the flu to drive to the station; always finding time during a busy day to cheer up the sad ones; stepping aside to let other one shine.

And what about being at the receiving end? Do we want to be saved by a knight in a shiny armour, or would we rather sort things out on our own?

It is quite funny that some men consider it their prerogative to puff up and defend the nest, while others would quite happily let you deal with all the dirty work. In the latter case, control is still retained, and nobody is to be thanked. The first, well, explains why firemen are so popular. Some women want to be saved.
Similarly, some women cannot stop mothering the entire neighbourhood, while others shall not be disturbed during their highly synchronised lives.

To be honest, I would like to know that in times of trouble I wouldn't be left alone by the one I love. That he would mainly hold my hand, and then, occasionally, when it gets really tough, carry me on his shoulder.

In the meanwhile, I'll try and sort myself out on my own. Almost.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand why you are so scared. You doubt and doubt. You say what you like and then retract immediately. Miss EI, when will you be honest with yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may not be very polite or appropriate, but all I can think is: sod off! I have my reasons. I need time. This life business is so bloody difficult. I will get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete