Thursday 15 July 2010

Firecracker

This must be a first. Have you ever been turned down by potential employers for being too good? Well, apparently that happened to me recently, as I just found out. And the word used to describe me was 'firecracker'. Which made me laugh for two reasons. First, I thought I really impressed them with my enthusiasm, doer attitude and strength. Second, Male Friend #1 and I often use 'firecracker' when talking about my approach to life, so their assessment was quite accurate.
However,it also made me think, as it brought up a dilemma that is bothering me these days: how much of our real selves should we allow people to see? Is there an upper limit to passion? When does enthusiasm start becoming irritating? Do we need to censor our behaviour? Should we hide our feelings or live by them?
I may have touched on this in the past days, but I feel that I have not been 100% sincere. Because, although I firmly believe in honesty, I also want to fit in, just like I did when I was 14. And sometimes it is just easier to give people what they want from you. So I just switch off, stuff my face with chocolate and wait for the storm to pass. But, no more. The people who love me, love the firecracker. The ones who don't, well I wouldn't want to be their friend or work with them either. And I am not saying it out of spite. I am saying it out of conviction. No more wasting time where I am not wanted, or wanted for something different.
I had enough.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you babes. How could anyone not want you on board??!! Their loss

    ReplyDelete