Friday 9 July 2010

What goes around comes around

A few times in the past I have touched on the subject of feedback. How honest one can be in giving it, how prepared for the worse one needs to be in asking for it. As you may have noticed, I am pretty direct in expressing my opinions. I don't do sugar-coating. So it is only fair for me to accept harsh criticism. Easier said than done.

Today I made the fatal mistake of showing yesterday's blog post to Male Friend #3. Instead of giving me even a little smile, he looked up and enquired how much time I waste writing this 'crap'. Ouch.. Ouch.. OUCH!
First reaction: nonchalant smile. Second reaction: well, he doesn't like 30 Rock and SATC, he is not my target demographics (do I have one?). Third reaction: hmmm, that wasn't one of my finest moments, maybe he is right. Final reaction: how would you feel if I called crap what you do in your spare time!

So, there you go. First bad review and I crumble. Thoughts such as 'can do better', 'don't settle for bad writing', 'strive for the best' crowd my mind. In addition to 'I should probably stop here', 'maybe I am wasting my time'. But then, hang on, this isn't War and Peace. This is a blog! I have fun writing it, and some lovely friends have fun reading it.
Let's put it all back into prospective. If it is too low-brow for some, then fine. I doubt it will affect my chances of being nominated for next year's Pulitzer. And twenty minutes on the train to work is hardly a lot of time to be wasted! That's it, I am toughening up and will carry on writing. Until the few of you out there enjoy it.

By the way, in case you are wondering, I am still not speaking to him.

3 comments:

  1. Please, keep writing! This blog is clever and funny and usually makes me laugh or think about how men's behaviour is so similar in such different countries (UK and Italy). This is a crap...
    FDB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work lady!!!! Rise in the face of criticism my darling!! Jos x

    ReplyDelete