Monday 12 July 2010

Ghost song

I have always believed this to be a strictly female problem. But I may be wrong.
I am talking about the cloak of invisibility most of us end up wearing one day or the other.

Do tell me if this scenario is at all familiar. Hot guy/girl met at a party reappears in other social circumstances. The first encounter was all chatting, giggling, flirting. You know it is in the bag. So, slight tinkle in your eye as you direct your steps towards the attractive being. But, as you smile with a sense of acknowledgement, they give you a vacuous look and blank you out. Or, even worse, as you extend your arm to shake hands/kiss cheek/whatever, they give you a polite smile and say 'nice meeting you'. Instant death seems the only way out.

How can it be that the same person who gets beeped and shouted compliments in the street, or smiled at by cute guys looking at her sitting in a cab, would turn overnight into the ghost of women past? (I am talking about Single Friend #1, in case you are wondering) What makes people of the opposite sex press 'delete' when seeing our number in their address book? Why are we supposed to play the 'I am not interested' game in order to bring some interest about our way?

A wise Italian lady reminded me of the old saying, 'in amore vince chi fugge'. Hmmm, in theory it is kind of obvious, but I am not quite sure. Because, you see, running away is my speciality, so why am I not the Olympic champion of love affairs, rather than an EI? And isn't there a fine line between confidence and being a twit?

Hey, excuse me, where are you going? What are you clicking? I am talking to you. Hey, I am talking, I am not done ye...

No comments:

Post a Comment