Saturday 27 March 2010

Heroes

Today I had one relaxing afternoon. A proper treat in a fabulous spa. It was all going so well, until, while chilling out in the relaxation area, I found myself sitting next to this glamazon popped out of nowhere. Now, it is bad enough to end up anywhere near a woman whose legs are as high as your ears (and I had that experience when sharing an open plan changing room with a lingerie model/WAG), but when you just had a facial, are wearing an incredibly unflattering bathrobe, glasses and a ponytail.. well, you just want to disappear as fast as possible. Because, you see, despite all of the above (except the glasses), she looked absolutely amazing. I looked rubbish. I mean, let's face it, I will never look effortlessly perfect. Will never command a room with my presence (mini-me?) or capture all eyes as I enter a restaurant (unless of course I plummet down on the floor face first). My life soundtrack is not a sexy R&B, an energetic R'n'R or smooth jazz; it is more something like 'ouch, ohi, ahi', as I hurt myself or fall off my heels. Basically, I will never be cool. All I can go for is 'kind of cute'.

When I was a little geeky kid, my favourite character was Athena, the heroic goddess of knowledge (and could never figure out why Paris picked Aphrodite). And even to this day my female icons, the ladies I aspire to, who inspire me, are all fairly weird ('family' and 'friends' categories excluded). These days, I look up a lot to Tina Fey and Miranda Hart (clumsy, messy, funny). When feeling tres chic, then I think of Catherine Deneuve (not very odd, except hardly a spring chicken). At the top of my game, I am Diane Keaton. If musical, it is PJ Harvey, or, on an exceptional day, Debbie Harry. When writing, I am inspired by Simone de Beauvoir, Virginia Woolf, Christa Wolf, and many other wonderful artists. I am sure this post will be updated numerous times, as I remember somebody else, as I feel in a different mood.

The scary thing though.. isn't it a male prerogative to put together lists? And isn't this happening to me a bit too often?

Going back to where we started, I will never be Samantha Jones.. Liz Lemon.. yes, more likely.

2 comments:

  1. Yep.. you are kind of geeky..

    ReplyDelete
  2. But kind of cute too..

    ReplyDelete