Saturday 10 April 2010

(Drawing) Rings around the world

I am not going to discover a new continent by stating that communication has been the 'silent' revolution of our generation. And most certainly I am not going to waste anybody's time yabbing about it. But you see, such an abundance of hardware and software does not detract from two key issues: men and phones don't go together, an EI needs subtitles, always.

Back then in the 80's, my dad was one of the first people in the country to buy a cell phone (remember those huge bricks that had absolutely no reception whatsoever?). He then kept updating the whole family's phone pool with the latest models. And yet, if you tried to reach him at any time, for any emergencies, his phone was always off. He just hated even the sound of the phone ringing.
Same with The Man. He has never replied to any of my text messages from around the world, as there was 'no need, as long as he knew I landed safe and sound, and nothing major happened' with him.
And, while Male Friends #1 and #2 keep in touch quite thoroughly by instant messaging, I cannot recall many phone chats, such as the ones I have with Best, Single and Married Friends.

Regarding the subtitles, I am convinced that IMs, SMSs, MSN, MMSs, Facebook and MySpace have actually made me more and not less clueless. I currently carry two BlackBerries plus my old phone, use three laptops and a desktop, four iPods and two digital cameras. Am I any wiser? Not at all.
I still find myself asking for elaboration and clarification; I wish people carried LCDs hanging from their necks explaining what they really mean. I usually cannot even pick up my own signals (why was I smiling? Dunno, just in a good mood, I suppose). And end up standing there wondering 'should I, should I not', only to find myself thinking a few hours later 'I wanted to..'

No comments:

Post a Comment